Ovulation Induction ???

Ovulation Induction ???

Postby jemima » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:33 pm

I'm in the process of losing weight (very hard work with steroids) so that I can have ovulation induction treatment (FSH and LH replacement basically i think) and wondered if anyone had any knowledge or experience as regards this.

I have six more pounds to lose (18 pounds lost so far) before my next appointment in December when I hope to get a schedule for treatment. I have no real idea what will happen and why so it is a bit scary, still fingers crossed.

Xx
jemima

Re: Ovulation Induction ???

Postby Camomile » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi Jemima,

Sorry to take so long to reply - I've only just seen this. I'm hypopituitary, and pregnant right now as a result of ovulation induction treatment, 19 weeks to be precise. I had my first appointment in May and then another in June to teach me how to do the injections and then begun the treatment in July. I injected each day (with Menopur) for about 16 days and then they cancelled the treatment as my ovaries weren't responding at all really. I then had a month's break and started again, only this time injecting myself with growth hormone as well as the Menopur. And this worked! I ovulated and bingo - became pregnant.

Please feel free to ask me any questions, it was all a bit unknown for me but I think I've learnt quite a lot going through the process, and am still learning now how to manage a hypopituitary pregnancy.

Good luck with it all x
Camomile

Postby jemima » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Massive thank you for responding and congratulations! Hope all is progressing well for you.

I haven't got any further with the treatment as over Christmas my father was taken very ill. So with all that going on i didn't much fancy trekking into London to see the docs. That is also why I haven't been checking up on this.

As you can imagine it is not easy dieting when so much is going on and with steroids. I have now delayed until the end of May, so I have until then to lose 8ish pounds, which will hopefully happen, as i have lost 2 pounds this week and i thought I had had a bad week.

I have a feeling from my research that they will put me on menopur as i think it is a subcutaneous injection (?) like the GH, which I have been on for nearly four years now and is not too bad except for the brusing.

It is very interesting that the GH helped as a lot of medical studies indicated that it should help (I read a lot!!) I got put on it earlier as I was struggling with tiredness etc and it has made a huge difference already, but as it does seem to help with pregnancy too, I will now have to consider it a wonder drug!

My main question at the moment is whether you had any hormone support in the early phases of your pregnancy as from what I understand there is a risk of not staying pregnant as i have no progesterone to support the pregnancy.

Also from what i have read a lot of panhypo women have c-sections and quite early - you may not have discussed this yet I guess, but I am really trying to be as clued up as possible so I can do everything I can to get and stay pregnant and be prepared. This is because this has been a long time coming as I have now been dieting for over a year, and it was last summer I had my HSG and then op to check tubes etc in preparation.

I have been on no caffeine, limited alcohol etc since then as well and I have been making my husband lose weight with me as well to give us the best chance possible.

The only thing I haven't started is pre-conception pills as there are sooo many around and I have no idea what to chose - any suggestions?

Just want to say thank you again, it has really put my mind at rest to know that it is possible to get pregnant with hypopit.

J
jemima

Postby bex » Thu May 19, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi Jemima

I am Panhypopit and have a 6 month old baby :) We had ICSI and I used Gonal F and Luveris instead of Menopur but both do the same job. In answer to your question about projesterone support, you are quite right you will need 12 weeks of a progesterone pessary should the treatment be successful to help support the pregnancy until the placenta takes over. I wish you tons of luck on your journey and if you want to ask me any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Camomile - Congratulations on your pregnancy and I wish you a healthy happy pregnancy and delivery. I didn't produce any breast milk due to not having any prolactin but once the midwives understood this it was fine and my little girl is thriving which is all I could ask for. Take care and if you have any Questions I'm more than happy to help.
bex

Postby jemima » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Bex - thanks for responding on this its so helpful. I have lost the required weight now and am going to the hospital on Thurs - so fingers crossed we get the go ahead this time.

Although clearly not an issue yet (!) I would like to know whether it is possible to have a full term pregnancy as there seems to be a preference for c-section early on?

Also whether it is possible to have a natural birth, as this has already been raised - mainly due to the issues of labour and steriods.

Answers to any/all of the above and any other information welcome.

Thanks again to Bex and Camomile for your help.
jemima

Postby jemima » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:57 am

Just a quick update - I got to the required weight yesterday and started menopur shots, did one at hosp - all ok - on my own tonight though!! Ultrasound twice a week to check follicules then hCG to ovulate - fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your posts.

Xx
jemima

Postby jemima » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Another update in case anyone is interested / wants any info

I have now been injecting menopur for 2 and a half weeks and going twice a week for ultrasound to check if any follicles are growing. Nothing yet but some women have the treatment for 60 days to induce ovulation so fingers crossed!

Injections are subcutaneous just like GH so quite easy to do.

Just keeping everything crossed!!
jemima

Postby jemima » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:49 am

A further update - after 5 weeks menopur shots we have "faint stirrings" going back on Tuesday (19th July) and not taking meds night before - i think this is so docs can check if follicles/ovaries are making any hormones at all.

Quite excited that something at least is happening even if nothing comes of it this time round.

Still fingers crossed etc!
jemima

Postby jemima » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Hope I'm not boring everybody but thought people in the same boat might find this useful(?)

I am now on week 9 of injections so far. The lining of my womb is increasing although not quite enough yet. I have several very small follicles and one more dominant follicle which is a little way off being the required size.

As there is movement (which was unexpected by everyone!) there is no current prospect of cancelling the cycle. This may happen if there are too many large follicles or if the current follicles stop growing even with additional medication.

I am now taking three vials of menopur (450iu) although I only have to mix the three vials with one lot of the liquid, so slightly less to inject than before.

Now keeping fingers crossed for one slightly larger follicle and a good lining.

Xx J
jemima

Postby Pat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:15 am

Hi Jemima

its good to see your updates as you go through this; it must be a rollercoaster and lots of luck.
Pat

Next

Return to Infertility