Post nasal drip and dry mouth

Post nasal drip and dry mouth

Postby member_31671 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:10 pm

Since I had transphenoidal surgery in 2005 to remove my pituitary gland (Cushings' Disease), I have suffered with what seems to be severe post nasal drip causing build-up of mucous in the back of my nose into my throat and mouth. This has become more and more frequent and I am now finding it very difficult to function during the day. This seems to occur at least 50% of the time, also making it difficult to sleep. I have followed a whole host of suggestions to alleviate this, but nothing is helping. These frequent episodes also leave me with an extremely dry mouth. (I also have Diabetes Insipidus and probable Sjorgrens syndrome which obviously doesn't help ! In addition I have a hiatus hernia!) I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced this kind of problem following transphenoidal surgery. I would be grateful for any response. Many thanks. Shirley.
member_31671

Re: Post nasal drip and dry mouth

Postby plum » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:02 pm

Hi Shirley
The main thing that I have following transsphenoidal surgery is a constant drippy nose. Nice!
It gets worse if I lean forwards.
So I now sniff a lot and carry around a hankie.
But this sounds like a minor inconvenience compared with your symptoms.
I don't have DI.
I hope that you find a solution to alleviate this soon.
best wishes
plum

Postby Pat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:52 pm

just wonder about the h-hernia too, and if you are on meds for acid reflux?
Pat

Postby Carl » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:36 am

I had the transsphenoidal surgery too back in 2013, don't have DI now although did have it for about 3 months after surgery.

Since the surgery my nose has never been quite the same, my left nostril is the one that produces more gunk particularly in the cold weather. Out walking the dogs requires constant nose wiping and tissue availability. It is annoying but certainly isn't constant and it is fine at night, it is a lot better in the warmer and drier spring and summer months. I do wake up horrendously dry mouthed in the morning.

I'm not sure there is an answer, in my case I'm just assuming my sinuses are permanently annoyed and probably always will be. It has got to be worth a bit of investigation where it is now interfering with your daily life and although mine is annoying it is nowhere near 50% of the time.
Carl

Postby member_31671 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:20 pm

Pat wrote:just wonder about the h-hernia too, and if you are on meds for acid reflux?

Hi Pat, yes, I'm on Pantaprazole and also Domperidone (anti sickness). Under gastroenterologist. Ive told him that I do not believe these meds are helping, but he assures me my symptoms would be even worse without them !- awaiting further tests at a different hospital, but so far, I've had three appointments cancelled due to covid ! 4th time lucky maybe ?!!!
member_31671

Postby member_31671 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:23 pm

Carl wrote:I had the transsphenoidal surgery too back in 2013, don't have DI now although did have it for about 3 months after surgery.

Since the surgery my nose has never been quite the same, my left nostril is the one that produces more gunk particularly in the cold weather. Out walking the dogs requires constant nose wiping and tissue availability. It is annoying but certainly isn't constant and it is fine at night, it is a lot better in the warmer and drier spring and summer months. I do wake up horrendously dry mouthed in the morning.

I'm not sure there is an answer, in my case I'm just assuming my sinuses are permanently annoyed and probably always will be. It has got to be worth a bit of investigation where it is now interfering with your daily life and although mine is annoying it is nowhere near 50% of the time.
Thanks for your comments Carl. I really am trying to get to the bottom of it. Further investigations planned by gastro, but appointments keep being cancelled due to Covid unfortunately ! Trying to be patient, but not easy !
member_31671

Postby member_31671 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:26 pm

plum wrote:Hi Shirley
The main thing that I have following transsphenoidal surgery is a constant drippy nose. Nice!
It gets worse if I lean forwards.
So I now sniff a lot and carry around a hankie.
But this sounds like a minor inconvenience compared with your symptoms.
I don't have DI.
I hope that you find a solution to alleviate this soon.
best wishes
Thanks for your kind wishes. Much appreciated. I look forward to the day when I can report that I have an answer !
member_31671

Postby Flower » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:12 am

Hi Shirley,

I also had Cushing's disease and underwent pituitary surgery in 2002. Since then I have experienced constant post-nasal drip, with collection of mucus and unpleasant breath and smell in my nostrils. As my nostrils are narrow, I struggle to breathe through my nose. There is a noise from my nostril when exhaling and I breathe through my mouth at night resulting in a dry unpleasant mouth. I've obtained a mouth gel from my dentist on prescription for artificial saliva - Bio Xtra Dry Mouth gel (there is also a spray available). You can buy this over the counter, but it is fairly expensive, so ask for it on prescription particularly as you should be medically exempt from prescription charges.

I also regularly encounter sinusitis and headaches, which are both exacerbated by windy weather. Although I also have a hiatus hernia with reflux and take Omeprazole and Gaviscon. I don't believe these conditions contributes towards the aforementioned symptoms as they precede the pituitary surgery.

Similar to other responses, I have to be prepared and find it is necessary to carry tissues wherever I go. My nose drips if I lean forward, particularly when gardening.
Flower

Return to Other